Honestly. I’ve been so into motivational speeches lately and why do I do things the way I do and how can I do it better. If you’re not developing and growing as an individual, you’re dying. I’m always seeking to better my potential and figure out how is it that I can better myself to better the people around me. I love being inspired, am drawn to finding success and unlocking my own happiness, and enjoy the puzzle of trying to build a better Me. Sometimes, I get stuck or put myself in a position where I don’t know how to change things or wonder why when I do something it’s not fulfilling enough.
“If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.”
– Tony Robbins
I’m not into the cuddly, fluffy, bull crap that’s often tied to life coaching. So I was skeptical to hear of Tony Robbins from my friend who had also gone through so difficult times in his life. I love the use of taboo language, it shocks you back into reality and that’s what makes him such an enticing public speaker.
For those too lazy to watch the video (although I encourage you to watch it!), here are some quick notes:
- Decision is the ultimate power: Decisions shape destiny; Decisions shape our culture. You can get emotional fitness and psychological strength.
- Two primary forces that shape us:
- Our State: Physical/Emotional. If we get the right emotion, we can motivate ourselves to do anything (ex. if you’re creative enough, if you’re fun enough).
- Long-term: Our model of the world (our filter), the shaper of meaning, emotion and action. That’s what’s shaping us. That’s what makes people make decisions.
- The defining factor is never resources (Time, Money, Technology, Contacts, Experience, Management) – its resourcefulness (Emotion, Creativity, Determination, Love & Caring, Curiosity, Passion)
- 6 Human Needs. Robbins says our 6 human needs are: certainty, uncertainty, significance, connection, growth, contribution. We have a need for certainty until we are certain, and then we need surprise and variety. We have a need to stand out and be significant and make our mark on the world, but we also have a need to blend in and be part of the crowd. We have a need to experience growth and to make our contribution and give back to others.
As individuals we all have the ability to make a positive impact in our communities, workplaces, and across the world, and it’s all up to us, as individuals, to overcome our fears to reach that potential.